Monday, July 28, 2008

My Poor Baby

I am not sure if I mentioned this in my last post (guess I could look), but Karenza got sick last weekend on Friday night and on Saturday. She was puking, but not running a fever. She would throw up and then would want to run and do the things the other kids were doing. I made her stay inside where it was cool, and to just settle down and relax. She was fine the rest of the week and this weekend. But today she wakes up telling me she has a headache and I feel her forehead and she is burning up. I had children's ibuprofen so I gave her a teaspoon of it. I asked her if she wanted anything to eat and she didn't. She finally asked me at about 1pm if we had any bacon (I kept her home from daycare today and am working off and on today - when available I told my boss). Anyway, she was in luck because Mom just gave me some last week! So I cooked it for her and she ate two pieces. I had her drink juice, water, and even part of my diet coke. It seem to go down. She has been laying in the recliner most of the day, and I was on the computer when she called for me. I came out and she said "Mommy, I can't stop shaking!" She was wrapped up in her blanket and was shivering. I felt her and she was burning up. It was time again for her to take some more ibuprofen and I gave her a teaspoon and a half this time. I finally found the thermometer and it somehow only reads in Celsius! So I had to find a website that converted it. The thermometer read 39.5 degrees Celsius. I found a conversion chart and her temp is 103.1! So I did a quick search to see how high it needs to be before I take her to the ER. Below is what I found:

What do I do when my child is running a fever?A fever is an abnormally high body temperature. There are four categories of fever: Low: 100 to 102 degrees Fahrenheit or 37.7 to 38.8 degrees CentigradeModerate: 102 to 104 degrees Fahrenheit or 38.8 to 40 degrees CentigradeHigh: Above 105 degrees Fahrenheit or above 40.5 degrees CentigradeDangerous: Anything over 107 degrees Fahrenheit or 41.6 degrees Centigrade, can cause permanent brain damage.

Contact your physician if any of these conditions develop:
- temperature over 105 degrees Fahrenheit
- lower temperature (100 to 102 degrees F) lasts more than several days
- bright lights are uncomfortable or cause pain
- mental confusion or drowsiness
- seizure, convulsions, or fits
- coughing yellow or green phlegm, or shortness of breath
- swelling of the throat
-other signs of infection, such as painful join, burning on urination, or abdominal pain

NEVER GIVE ASPIRIN TO A CHILD UNDER 18 YEARS. Children should be given acetaminophen instead of aspirin, because of the risk of Reye's Syndrome. Do not bundle up under blankets. A cool shower or bath may help. Take particular care when dealing with a temperature in an infant or small child.

Here are some general guidelines for children:
Seek medical attention for a temperature of 100 degrees Fahrenheit, or above, in an infant.
For fever less than 102 degrees in a child, treat by making sure that the child drinks plenty of cold fluids and remains cool.
For higher temperatures, contact a health professional and begin active cooling measures. Undress the child. Sponge the child's body with warm water, or place in a tepid bath. Do not try to cool a child with ice or alcohol.

Alcohol? Not sure what they mean by that! But, I have put a cool washcloth on her forehead and am having her drink lots of water so she doesn't get dehydrated. She has been eating lots of popsicles, which is fine by me. Have you ever tried the Edy's Fruit Bars? They are awesome! They are all natural, and Karenza loves them. Her favorite are Grape, Lemonade, and Tangerine. Check them out below: http://www.edys.com/brand/fruitbars/flavorlisting.asp?b=136

I just took her temp again and it is now 38.5 so it seems to be going down with the ibuprofen. Hopefully there will be relief in site for her soon, my poor baby. I don't like times like these, the only benefit is that I get to snuggle and rock her! This morning she fell asleep and we rocked for an hour and a half. When you're a Mom to a three and a 1/2 year old you cherish those moments because they become few and in between as they get to be more independent. Not a great start to our week.

I also wanted to wish my Sister and her husband a Happy Anniversary! They were married 7 years ago today!! Congrats!!

No comments: